Spinach Meat Roll
We love the spinach, ham and cheese swirled in every slice. Sometimes I serve it with spaghetti sauce and pasta.—Gail Buss, Westminster, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced fully cooked ham
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs; add bread crumbs, ketchup, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and oregano. Add beef and mix well. On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12x10-in. rectangle. Cover with spinach to within 1/2-in. of edges. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Top with ham and 1-1/2 cups cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends; place with seam side down in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Top with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 414 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 161mg cholesterol, 1029mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Meat Roll in Taste of Home June/July 1998
Oct 18, 2011
Excellent!!!!! I also add saute mushrooms
Jul 30, 2011
This is my favorite recipe to make for company. Everyone is always impressed and asks for the recipe. I love to serve it with pasta and a choice of marinara, alfredo, and pesto sauces.