Spinach Mashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until very tender. Drain well and place in a bowl; mash. Add the sour cream, butter, sugar, salt, pepper and dill; mix well. Stir in spinach.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 229 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 28, 2009
p.s. for the spinach layer mentioned below I sauteed frozen spinach (moisture pressed out) in some butter and seasonings so it would make a nice colorful layer alternating with the potato-corned beef dish.
Aug 28, 2009
Can easily be turned into a main dish by adding a meat. I made something similar to this recently (modified from a "colcannon" recipe) by adding bits of cooked Corned beef that I had cooked in a crock pot all day. Then instead of stirring all together I just stirred the beef into the potatoes and made layers of potato mixter, layer of spinach, althernating...it turned out so pretty when sliced and would be beautiful for a Christmas brunch or dinner because of the pretty colors!
Feb 18, 2009
I've made these a couple times already; we won't eat mashed potatoes any other way now. Thank you!
Jan 9, 2009
I made this the other night and my family loved it. The flavor is wonderful!