- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 teaspoons vegetable or chicken bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, lentils, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes and spinach; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Stir in vinegar. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSpinach Lentil Stew
"This is a great tasting dish. Lentils can be eaten any time of the year, Not just when it's cold outside. I didn't have Worcestershire sauce on hand, so I didn't use that. Instead of water, I used vegetable broth along with water. I Also used fresh spinach and one fresh tomato along with the can of tomatoes. I also squeezed in some fresh lemon juice instead of the red wine. I will fix this again. I was easy to make and you can make any adjustment you want to make, to suite your taste. I served it with jiffy cornbread. A toss salad is also a great addition to this dish."
"Delicious stew for a cold night in December. My husband went back for thirds! I used Korrs vegetable bouillion cubes and fresh spinach just at the end. I forgot the red wine vinegar but didn't miss it. Also I doubled the recipe, and I added an extra cup of lentils to make it thicker. Thank you for the great recipe!"
"Delicious, full of body and flavor. I'm the only vegetarian in my family so am always looking for recipes that will satisfy me and my family, and this one fit the bill perfectly. I'll definitely make it again!"
"I get so bored with lentils (we eat them a lot) and I do not like frozen spinach at all, but this stew was delicious! The portions were very large and the recipe is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it!"
"My daughter-in-law is a vegetarian and I'm always looking for recipes that everyone will like. I made this stew and everyone raved about it! Definitely will make this again!"
"I am making this stew for the second time this week. It is delicious, filing and healthy. Thank you for a great recipe!"
"I would make this again... and have many, many times. First saw it in a ToH mini-magazine I bought - this was one of the tear-out cards - and I made it repeatedly for the 3 kids for whom I was a nanny while I finished my undergrad. The mother was fanatical about nutrition, and this met her standard and exceeded all expectations for flavor... and surprisingly, the kids LOVED it! (although I can't get my own daughter to touch it with a 10-foot pole) I still love it - tastes great as written (except I saute the veggies in olive oil and I have always used broth or stock, not granules or bouillon cubes) and it is something I can feel good eating - I know it's good for me. and we all know what a challenge it is to find healthful dishes that taste great. Thanks Alice!"
"I subbed fresh swiss chard for spinich (a little more earthy). Sprinkled with Parmesan cheese."