- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, bring spinach, broth and carrots to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in butter until onion is soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add flour; cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Add to spinach mixture. Cool slightly.
- Puree in small batches in a blender until finely chopped. Place in a large saucepan. Add the cream, milk, pepper and nutmeg; heat through but do not boil.
1 cup: 253 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.