Spinach Garlic Bread
I don't do as much cooking now as I did when my six children were growing up! I've found that this pretty bread makes a nice appetizer and goes great with any Italian meal. Try it with a soup and salad, too. —Ruby Williams Bogalusa, Louisiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf French or Italian bread (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. Place with cut side up on a baking sheet; set aside. In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add spinach and stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and fennel seed; mix well. Spread evenly over bread halves. Sprinkle with tomato, mozzarella and basil. Bake at 400° for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley if desired. Cut into slices and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 229 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.