- 10 slices French bread (1 inch thick) or 6 croissants, split
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, arrange French bread or croissant halves with sides overlapping.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, spinach, salt, nutmeg and pepper; pour over bread. Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSpinach Feta Strata
"I cut the recipe in half for the two of us and thought it was very easy to make!"
"I tried this because I had some Feta cheese in the fridge that I wanted to use before it soured. This is good! Glad to have another meatless option for the breakfast potlucks we have at work..."
"This is a regular on our table, even the kids like it. We are trying to eat less meat and this is nice, easy to make, filling meal. We do not miss the meat. Depending on my mood I will add a bit more seasoning, but its pretty good as is (I cook low-salt due to BP, so for us there is enough saltiness from the cheese)."
"easy and acceptable to my toddlers. they even enjoyed the leftovers in their lunchbox the next day. the 'kelp' like flavour of the baked spinach works together with the tangy cheese. yummo - thanks."