Spinach Festival Salad
I first whipped up this salad for my sister before we headed out for a day of shopping. Now I'm asked to make it for her whenever she comes over.—Malinda Smith, Stone Mountain, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper
- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey, cut into strips
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled tomato and basil feta cheese
- 3 pepperoncini, sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins blister, about 5 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, combine the turkey, spinach, tomatoes, onions, feta cheese, pepperoncini, Romano cheese, garlic and seasonings.
- Peel off and discard charred skin from peppers. Remove stems and seeds. Slice peppers; add to salad and toss to combine. Serve with vinaigrette.
Editor's NoteLook for pepperoncini (pickled peppers) in the pickle and olive section of your grocery store.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 156 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 803mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Malinda's Spinach Festival Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.