Spinach Crab Chicken
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 12 fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Hot cooked rice
- For sauce, in a large skillet, sauce the onion, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crab, spinach and parsley; stir in 1/2 cup sauce. Spoon 1/4 cup down the center of each chicken breast half. Roll up; secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Discard toothpicks. Serve with rice.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (6 ounces) equals 521 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 185 mg cholesterol, 1,074 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 56 g protein.
Mar 25, 2018
This made a uniquely different chicken dish. I served it over white rice with green beans on the side.
Feb 12, 2014
I served this elegant looking chicken to house guests. The basic dish is good, but, it really needs some spices for flavor. I would add garlic and other spices, next time around.
Jan 22, 2014
Labor intensive, but totally worth it! I loved it, as did my husband and son. I didn't have crab on had, but I had frozen shrimp that I cooked and chopped. Delicious!
Aug 17, 2010
My husband, who doesn't generally like me to make new recipes and is a fussy eater, liked this as did I. I try new stuff anyway! Marlene
Mar 14, 2009
This is incredible! We're making it for our gourmet group.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.