Spinach Crab Chicken
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 12 fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Hot cooked rice
- For sauce, in a large skillet, sauce the onion, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crab, spinach and parsley; stir in 1/2 cup sauce. Spoon 1/4 cup down the center of each chicken breast half. Roll up; secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Discard toothpicks. Serve with rice.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (6 ounces) equals 521 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 185 mg cholesterol, 1,074 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 56 g protein.
Mar 25, 2018
This made a uniquely different chicken dish. I served it over white rice with green beans on the side.
Feb 12, 2014
I served this elegant looking chicken to house guests. The basic dish is good, but, it really needs some spices for flavor. I would add garlic and other spices, next time around.
Jan 22, 2014
Labor intensive, but totally worth it! I loved it, as did my husband and son. I didn't have crab on had, but I had frozen shrimp that I cooked and chopped. Delicious!
Aug 17, 2010
My husband, who doesn't generally like me to make new recipes and is a fussy eater, liked this as did I. I try new stuff anyway! Marlene
Mar 14, 2009
This is incredible! We're making it for our gourmet group.