- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 12 fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- Hot cooked rice
- For sauce, in a skillet, sauce the onion, mushrooms and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, crab, spinach and parsley; stir in 1/2 cup sauce. Spoon 1/4 cup down the center of each chicken breast half. Roll up; secure with toothpicks. Place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Discard the toothpicks. Serve with the rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSpinach Crab Chicken
"I served this elegant looking chicken to house guests. The basic dish is good, but, it really needs some spices for flavor. I would add garlic and other spices, next time around."
"Labor intensive, but totally worth it! I loved it, as did my husband and son. I didn't have crab on had, but I had frozen shrimp that I cooked and chopped. Delicious!"
"My husband, who doesn't generally like me to make new recipes and is a fussy eater, liked this as did I. I try new stuff anyway! Marlene"
"This is incredible! We're making it for our gourmet group."