From Irvine, California, Jane Shapton shares the recipe for her savory corn muffins. Chopped spinach adds green flecks to the golden muffins...and jalapeno peppers add a little heat.
Recommended: 31 Easy Vegetarian Recipes with 5 Ingredients
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the spinach, cheese and jalapenos.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-third full with batter. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Spinach Corn Muffins in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p55
Reviews forSpinach Corn Muffins
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 30, 2013
"easy and great muffins. I was surprised that they had a little sweetness to them."
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2009
"Thanks for this unique recipe! I can't wait to find an meal to serve these with."