Spinach Corn Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the spinach, cheese and jalapenos.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-third full with batter. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 153 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 30, 2013
Easy and great muffins. I was surprised that they had a little sweetness to them.
Oct 5, 2009
I made these with an Asparagus Cheddar soup--and my family LOVED them!I love spinach--and these muffins were a great compliment to soup :)
Apr 14, 2009
Thanks for this unique recipe! I can't wait to find an meal to serve these with.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.