Spinach Cheese Strata
Here's a delicious brunch dish for the holidays. I usually garnish with red and green pepper rings overlapped in the center for a festive touch.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and peppers in butter until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in spinach and cereal. Spoon into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, bacon, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Cheese Strata in Country Extra January 2001