Spinach Cheese Strata
Here's a delicious brunch dish for the holidays. I usually garnish with red and green pepper rings overlapped in the center for a festive touch.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups Wheat Chex
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and peppers in butter until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in spinach and cereal. Spoon into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, bacon, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese. Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 226 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 192mg cholesterol, 720mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Cheese Strata in Country Extra January 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.