Spinach Cheese Mushrooms
These stuffed tidbits pack a surprising crunch, thanks to chopped pecans in the cheesy spinach filling. "The appetizers are fun to serve for a special occasion," relates Debbie Hert of Columbus, Indiana. "Whenever guests sample these mushrooms, they always ask for the recipe."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh torn spinach
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- 56 large fresh mushrooms (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- In a large saucepan, bring spinach and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain; squeeze dry and finely chop. In a large bowl, beat ricotta and butter until smooth. Beat in egg. Stir in Parmesan cheese, water chestnuts, 3 tablespoons pecans and chopped spinach.
- Remove stems from mushrooms (discard or save for another use). Spray inside of mushroom caps with butter-flavored spray. Place caps on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Stuff with spinach mixture; sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 59 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.