Spinach Cheese Muffins
Muffins are my most favorite thing to bake because they're so fast and versatile. This version makes a great substitute for typical dinner bread and adds a little color to your table.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach or 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Additional Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, onions, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in spinach and Swiss cheese.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 167 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Cheese Muffins in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.