Spinach-Cheese French Bread
I found this recipe in a school cookbook many years ago. I once served it as an appetizer on Thanksgiving. Guests ate so much of it they were almost too full for dinner!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, cheeses, mushrooms, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Spoon onto bread halves.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 202 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Spinach Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007