Spinach-Cheese French Bread
I found this recipe in a school cookbook many years ago. I once served it as an appetizer on Thanksgiving. Guests ate so much of it they were almost too full for dinner!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, cheeses, mushrooms, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Spoon onto bread halves.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 202 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Spinach Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.