I found this recipe in a school cookbook many years ago. I once served it as an appetizer on Thanksgiving. Guests ate so much of it they were almost too full for dinner!
Recommended: 33 Non-Scary Bread Recipes Anyone Can Bake
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, cheeses, mushrooms, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Spoon onto bread halves.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Spinach-Cheese French Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p14