Spinach Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 boneless beef sirloin steak (1 pound), cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 6 cups torn fresh spinach
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. Place soy sauce in a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Drain and discard soy sauce.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, bouillon, five-spice powder and water until smooth; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, sir-fry beef in batches in 1 tablespoon hot oil until beef is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- 3. Stir-fry carrots in remaining oil for 2 minutes. Add the green pepper, celery and mushrooms; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the water chestnuts and onions; stir-fry for 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add spinach and beef; cook and stir until spinach is wilted and beef is heated through. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 280 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Spinach Beef Stir-Fry
"I left out the carrots and added baby corns instead. One of these days I'll remember I don't like water chestnuts and remember to leave them out. Otherwise good recipe. I suggest if you plan on reheating it at all, undercooking the beef that you plan on reheating. otherwise it gets tough."