- 5-1/4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven, cook the beef, onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, salt, garlic powder, pepper and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Drain macaroni; add macaroni and spinach to beef mixture. Pour into two greased 3-qt. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Reviews forSpinach Beef Macaroni Bake
"This was not outstanding but good. I will make it again adding more spices. As some of the previous reviewers I also halved this recipe and used fresh spinach."
"Pretty good. I made 1/4 of the recipe. In the future I would use less spinach, add some tomato sauce, and cover during baking. Crushed red pepper would be good too. It took me more like 1 1/2 hours to prepare."
"We really enjoyed this recipe. This can easily be cut in half or make a full recipe and freeze the other half for another day. I would like to try it with substituting a can of tomato sauce for one of the cans of diced tomatoes."
"This dish became very tasty after I added a 12 oz jar of chili sauce."
"Jillknit - When a recipe calls for cooked fresh spinach, 1 pound of fresh spinach will yield 10-12 cups of torn leaves, which will cook down to about 1 cup. One package (10 ounces) of frozen spinach leaves yields about 1-1/2 cups after cooking. Hope this helps!!"
"Any help for amonts and directions for adding fresh spinach? I would appreciate any suggestions."
"I cut recipe in half to make for my family. Even those that don't like spinach love this recipe!"
"oh, yum! I loved this recipe! The hubby loved it too. Even tho it is just the two of us we had no problem eating it for several nights and I froze the rest."