Spinach Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups packed torn fresh spinach
- 1 can (16 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked small tube pasta or other small pasta
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, tomato puree, broth, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the spinach, beans, cooked pasta and hot pepper sauce, heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 243 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 940mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 5, 2014
This is a simple and delicious soup. It is light and healthy and my family loves it.
Mar 13, 2012
Awesome recipe, I make every 2-3 weeks. Even my husband likes it. Do not bother with slow cooker, to easy to make on top of stove. I cook all but the spinach and beans till the rice is cooked then I add them in. Found out chicken broth works just as good and is cheaper.
Jan 17, 2010
This soup was delicious. I tore the spinach but will probably tear it into a lot smaller pieces next time, and there will be a next time!
Mar 4, 2008
I made this soup the other day, and I can't believe how much I loved it! In fact, I am planning on making it again this weekend. It was very easy to make, and super flavorful. Nice and healthy too. I am sharing it with everyone I know.