Some of my best memories growing up were in the kitchen with my mother and two sisters. My mother is known for creating some of the most incredible dishes, the following is a favorite breakfast item. Pairs well with Gallo Family Vineyards Chardonnay.
Recommended: 65 of Our Favorite Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet, cook spinach and garlic in oil until liquid evaporates. Cool.
- Spread one can of tomatoes on the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange one layer of bread slices over tomatoes. Arrange Swiss cheese slices over bread. Layer spinach, onions and Feta cheese over Swiss cheese.
- Top with the second can of tomatoes and another layer of bread slices. Combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minuets before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Spinach and Tomato Strata in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2009, p13