Spinach and Sausage Pie
A flaky homemade crust holds up well in this pleasing pie brimming with sausage, cheese and vegetables. Serve it for breakfast lunch or dinner along with a fruit cup or garden salad.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 7 to 9 tablespoons water
- 3/4 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture can be formed into a ball. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage and onion in a skillet until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta and 2 eggs. Add spinach, mozzarella, Parmesan, flour and sausage mixture; mix well. Divide dough in half; roll one half to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Spoon filling into crust. Roll remaining pastry for top crust; place over filling. Flute edges and cut slits in top crust. Beat remaining egg and brush over top crust. Place on lower rack in oven.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. If necessary, cover edges of crust with foil to prevent overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 602 calories, 39g fat (21g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Spinach and Sausage Pie in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.