Spinach and Rice
Dill and oregano do a nice job of dressing up this dish. It makes a great side with savory lamb or pork chops. —Laura Nurse, Lilburn, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
- Stir in the water, dill, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. Add spinach; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 110 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Spinach and Rice in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011
Aug 14, 2011
I had to improvise on the time to cook as i use the minute brown rice, but it turned out well, altho hubby nixed it cuz he doesn't like the wilted spinach. I loved it tho!
Jun 11, 2011
It was moist with great flavor.
Mar 19, 2011
good blend of flavors