Spinach and Mushrooms
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the wine, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-8 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- Add spinach; cook and stir until wilted. Stir in water chestnuts; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 124 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jan 23, 2013
I am not a fan of spinach, but it ended up being the part of the dish me and my family devoured! I omitted the water chestnuts and added 1 slice of crumbled bacon. I had to make a second batch because my 12 yr. old ate nearly the whole pan before I could serve it. I will add to my favorites list!
Jun 19, 2010
I was also excited to try this, the picture looked good but it wasn't. Very plain, not much flavor at all, disappointed.
Jun 18, 2010
I was excited to try this, but I didn't like the taste of it. I thought the Worcestershire sauce might have been a typo. I might try making it again but using soy sauce instead of the Worcestershire sauce or maybe omitting the sauce all together.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.