- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon rotisserie chicken seasoning
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, halved
- In a large skillet, saute the spinach, mushrooms, onions and pecans in oil until mushrooms are tender. Set aside and keep warm.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoning. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
- Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Top with cheese. Cover and grill 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. To serve, top each chicken breast with reserved spinach mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSpinach and Mushroom Smothered Chicken
"easy and delicious! Used Swiss cheese, great. Tried it with no cheese, great. It's a keeper!"
"Great presentation and delicious!"
"My family loved this recipe! The sauteed mushrooms and spinach and green onions on top of the grilled chicken breast with melted provolone were a nice addition of flavors, and no high-calorie sauce was required. I skipped the pecans and used Nature's Seasons seasoning blend. I served it with the "Special Cauliflower" recipe on this site and some Seeds of Change brand quinoa and brown rice blend. It was a delicious and nutritious meal!"
"Nice variation on chicken breasts! The chicken breasts I used were rather large so I pounded them to an even thickness. I seasoned with a spicy blend (Kickin' chicken brand) and browned the chicken before placing in oven and baking at 375 for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, I sauted thinly sliced red onion, mushrooms, scallions, and spinach. When chicken was done I spread the sauted mix on top of each breast, covered with cheese, and popped it under the broiler until cheese was bubbly and slightly browned. Eating for lunch all week. This one will go on regular rotation this winter!! Thanks for the idea."
"I grilled and it was great. Different cheeses might be fun. Next time maybe swiss."