- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, kale, water, pasta, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSpill-the-Beans Minestrone
"This is the recipe I've been searching for. We tried it from the magazine years ago--then I lost the recipe. So glad to find it again! We are vegetarians, and this is a perfect soup for us! Our favorite minestrone!"