Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, beans, tomatoes, kale, water, pasta, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 238 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 8g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 15, 2018
a great meatless meal w/ fresh bread
Apr 4, 2012
This is the recipe I've been searching for. We tried it from the magazine years ago--then I lost the recipe. So glad to find it again! We are vegetarians, and this is a perfect soup for us! Our favorite minestrone!
Nov 16, 2009
I've made this several times and have always enjoyed. Very easy and quick. One change I made was to increase the broth to 3 cans and skip the water, and add the pasta after the water boils.
Oct 31, 2009
Loved this recipe. Quick and very easy to prepare. My husband likes meat in his soup so I always add turkey kielbasa.
Feb 16, 2009
I have made this soup several times and always get great reviews. My husband is not a soup person and he likes it along with many picky eater children.