Spiked Eggnog Bread Pudding
With a little imagination and creativity, I transformed my family's favorite holiday drink into a delightful dessert. If I have leftover eggnog, I'll use it up in here. —Marie Bruno, Greensboro, GA
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing Bake: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups eggnog
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup rum or 1/2 teaspoon rum extract plus 2 tablespoons eggnog
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 10 cups cubed day-old egg bread or challah (about 12 ounces)
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Generously grease bottom and sides of an 11x7-in. baking dish with softened butter. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, eggnog, sugar, rum, melted butter, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg until blended. Stir in bread; let stand 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Transfer bread mixture to prepared dish; sprinkle with remaining nutmeg. Bake 40-45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm; if desired, top with whipped cream.