Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless lean pork, beef, lamb, venison, chicken or turkey, cut into 1-1/2- to 2-inch cubes
- Italian rolls or hot dog buns
- In a glass or plastic bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients. Add meat and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. Thread meat onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. Grill, covered, over medium heat until meat reaches desired doneness, 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove meat from skewers and serve on long Italian rolls or hot dog buns.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked meat: 205 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Jul 6, 2019
Hello from another neighbor from Johnson City. Everyone should try spiedies. I like to grab a piece of soft Italian bread and pull the spiedies off the skewer right into the bread. Yum. Spiedies are unique to the Triple Cities area of Binghamton-Johnson City-Endicott. Thank goodness I can buy Salamids's Spiedi Sauce down here in the Hudson Valley. We always marinated our spiedies for 2-3 days and then grilled them over charcoal. My dad made our skewers which had nice wooden handles. They were nice a long so you didn't have to try to grab the skewer from the hot area of the grill. Now I'm going to have to make some spiedies. It's been a while. Thanks for posting this recipe - it sounds good.
Oct 20, 2018
Hello from a neighbor from Binghamton, NY. I’ve been making this for years and it’s the very best BBQ favorite in our family too. I wouldn’t change a thing. There are many versions of this marinade and are featured at our yearly SpiediFest. It’s exciting to see how so many different versions there are. It’s also amazing how our regional picnic food is spreading nation wide.
Mar 9, 2015
I tried it with beef and it was very good and tender. I can't wait to try it with chicken.
Jul 21, 2014
Super delicious! I used chicken and pork. Also drizzled aged balsamic vinegar over just before serving. I served it with couscous and a Greek salad. Great for company!
Mar 5, 2014