I can’t seem to make enough of this zippy, chunky relish. Zucchini creates a nice change of pace from the usual pickle relish, and the assortment of peppers adds a tongue-tingling bite.—Amy Martin, Bellefontaine, Ohio
Recommended: 50 Recipes Made in Mason Jars
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup grated onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chopped seeded habanero pepper
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the zucchini, onion and salt. Seal bag and turn to coat: refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Rinse with water; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, mustard, turmeric, celery seed and pepper. Gradually whisk in vinegar until blended. Stir in peppers and zucchini mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Spicy Zucchini Relish in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p220
Reviews forSpicy Zucchini Relish
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 29, 2012
"I have so much zucchini in my garden and didn't know what to do with it, until I found this recipe. It is incredible! My husband loves it on everything."