Chili fans will get a kick out of this untraditional recipe. Tomatoes with green chilies, lime juice and kidney and black beans give it an original twist. It's wonderful ladled steaming over rice.
Recommended: 38 Ultimate Chili Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 6 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, broth, lime juice, cornmeal and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until heated through. Serve with rice; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Two-Bean Chili in Country Woman January/February 2006, p47
Reviews forSpicy Two-Bean Chili
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 21, 2013
"This is a great alternative to traditional chili beans. The green chiles and spices really add to the recipe."
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2012