Spicy Turkey Chili
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds ground turkey or turkey sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth or beer
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, cook the turkey, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 195 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 4g fiber), 14g protein.
Oct 29, 2017
I added sliced herbed/garlic chicken sausage to the ground turkey; used 16 oz. diced organic tomatoes pureed with the tomato sauce. I used 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Organic Beef Base, skipped the cinnamon and used 1/8 teaspoon Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce. Heated in a crockpot for our fellowship. It was scarfed!
May 9, 2015
I love spicy food and I particularly liked that this recipe called for ground turkey instead of beef. I used both instead of beer. I've never cooked with beer and now I'm wondering if it gives dishes a distinct taste. If so, I might try it with beer next time. Great Recipe!
Jan 11, 2015
Made it just as directed. My family loves spicy food and they loved this chili! Used the beer and everyone loved the taste. I have to admit I did not eat the chili as I am a vegetarian but it smelled awesome cooking. This recipe is a keeper and healthy!
Apr 8, 2014
My family loved the chili. I did not add the jalapeno pepper and still found it spicy enough. In addition, I did not add the cinnamon. I will definitely make this again!
Jan 29, 2010
will for sure be repeating this recipe, again,and again.It is a winner. Edna..Waterford, MI.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.