When you'd rather be playing than cooking, you might want to give Birmingham, Alabama cook Jaime Hampton's tomato soup a try. Using canned corn and black beans, it goes together fast and is a great accompaniment to sandwiches.
Recommended: 40 Recipes for Vegetable Soup
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the tomato juice, corn, beans, salsa, oregano, garlic powder, basil, cumin and pepper flakes if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain macaroni; stir into the soup. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Tomato Soup in Country Woman May/June 2006, p45
Reviews forSpicy Tomato Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2010
"Very tasty & comforting, especially in winter. Didn't think it was spicy but that's ok. My son & i loved it!"
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2008
"Very good! Wouldn't change a thing!"