Spicy Tomato Beef Steak
My family loves this spicy tomato dish. I came up with the recipe about 25 years ago, after eating a similar dish on vacation in New Mexico.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef top round steak, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into wedges
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- In a bowl, combine the vinegar, salt and pepper; toss with beef. Cover and marinate for 30 minutes; drain.
- Place flour in a bowl; add beef and toss to coat. In a skillet, cook beef in oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 195 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 364mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Spicy Tomato Steak in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook