Spicy Teriyaki Beef Salad
Cool cucumber and avocado combine with spicy marinated steak to create a fun and tasty balance of flavors your guests will love. If the spice is too much, remove the cayenne and red pepper flakes from the avocado mixture.—Ning Watson of San Diego, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large portobello mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups hearts of romaine salad mix
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the teriyaki sauce, garlic, sesame oil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the avocado, cucumber, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and remaining pepper flakes and cayenne; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, saute steak and mushroom until meat reaches desired doneness and mushroom is tender. Divide salad mix among four plates; top with avocado mixture and meat mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 405 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 6180mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Teriyaki Beef Salad in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.