Spicy Sweet-Sour Pork
Shannon Talmage of Alexandria, Indiana combines tenter strips of pork with pineapple and sweet peppers in this colorful entree that's not too sweet or too sour. It gets a little zip from red pepper flakes and is sure to perk up any meal.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 2-inch strips
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup green pepper strips
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper strips
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 1-cup measuring cup; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to pineapple juice to measure 1/2 cup. In a small bowl; combine the cornstarch, soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper flakes and reserved juice mixture until smooth. Set aside.
- In a nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry pork in hot oil until meat is no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, stir-fry peppers for 3-4 minutes or until just crisp-tender.
- Return meat to skillet; add reserved pineapple. Stir pineapple juice mixture; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired.