Spicy Sweet Potato & Chickpea Soup
I love hearty, healthy entree soups, and a bowl of this southwestern sweet potato-soup really satisfies. I add a can of chickpeas for protein, making it ideal for an easy dinner. And it reheats and even freezes beautifully, so I often make a double batch. —Jennifer Fisher, Austin, Texas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in spices. Add potatoes, chickpeas, stock and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through. Top with bacon, green onions and, if desired, cheese.Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little stock or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 334 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 880mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 8g fiber), 15g protein.
Jan 5, 2018
The spicy flavor is subtle and pairs perfectly with the sweet potatoes. I tried it using the shaved parmesan and crumbled bacon, and it was a near perfect soup. Surprisingly filling, too!