- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir in spices. Add potatoes, chickpeas, stock and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through. Top with bacon, green onions and, if desired, cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little stock or water if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Sweet Potato & Chickpea Soup
"The spicy flavor is subtle and pairs perfectly with the sweet potatoes. I tried it using the shaved parmesan and crumbled bacon, and it was a near perfect soup. Surprisingly filling, too!"