Spicy Sweet and Sour Meatballs
These meatballs were brought to an office potluck by one of my co-workers. Water chestnuts give these nicely glazed meatballs a wonderful texture. - Kim Johnston, East Wenatchee, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup finely chopped water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the first five sauce ingredients until smooth; add onion. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain meatballs; top with sauce.
If you're going to keep prepared horseradish longer than 1 month after opening, spoon tablespoonfuls onto a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze until solid; transfer to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag and freeze for 6 months.
Nutrition Facts6 each: 351 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 1047mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour -Meatballs in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.