—Sandra Bradley, Floydada, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 to 17 ounces) peas, drained
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans or 3 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef, green peppers and onion over medium until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 217 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Stew in Country Woman January/February 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.