Spicy Spanish Rice
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine rice, onion, olives, cumin, tomatoes, water and oil. Cover and bake 45 minutes.
- Stir in cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 186 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 31, 2011
Delicious rice dish. Wife loves olives, so we added some extra, and cilantro is a must. Not really all that spicy, but just enough for us, and we usually like really spicy dishes. Look forward to making this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.