- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine rice, onion, olives, cumin, tomatoes, water and oil. Cover and bake 45 minutes.
- Stir in cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cilantro if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Spanish Rice
"Delicious rice dish. Wife loves olives, so we added some extra, and cilantro is a must. Not really all that spicy, but just enough for us, and we usually like really spicy dishes. Look forward to making this again!"