Spicy Shrimp ‘n’ Scallop Skewers
We serve these skewers with some grilled steaks and a garden salad. I'm hungry just thinking about it! —Traci Wynne, Denver, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon each white pepper, cayenne pepper and black pepper
- 18 uncooked large shrimp (about 3/4 pound)
- 12 sea scallops (1-1/2 pounds)
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in seasonings; set aside and keep warm. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. On six metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread shrimp and scallops.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill seafood, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are firm and opaque, basting occasionally with butter mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 skewer: 176 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Shrimp and Scallop Skewers in Simple & Delicious July/August 2007