Spicy Shredded Chicken Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 plum tomato, chopped
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Add 1 cup broth to pan. Cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- 2. Add onions and green pepper; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in seasonings; cook 1-2 minutes. Add tomato and remaining broth; pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little reduced-sodium broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 202 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 436mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Reviews for Spicy Shredded Chicken
"Holy cow was this spicy!!! I will definitely tone down the heat next time so we can enjoy it more. I did use chicken breast as that was what I had on hand. I served it over rice with a big glass of milk! ;)"
"I have made this several times--- spiciness can be easily adjusted to suit different tastes... I have made with thighs and chicken breaks, only thighs and only chicken breasts... good any way, but the thighs do give it a bit more flavor and final product is more juicy with thighs added. Making it for the 5th or 6th time this evening--- since I keep coming back to this recipe, I wanted to share how great it is! :)"
"Topped this recipe with sour cream and chopped cilantro. It was very good! Will make again!"
"This was good, but not great. I did make a couple of substitutions using a yellow pepper instead of a green one and half of a Texas 1015 onion since I don't like green onions. I also added 1 T of oregano and some garlic salt to taste because it just seemed to be missing a little something. I would make this again, but next time I'm going to drain the grease off before adding the broth to the pan because it was a little greasy."
"Oh, my goodness, this is so yummy! Heather, you are a genius if you created this yourself. Thank you so much for sharing. I just test tasted it and it is so good. I used half the amount of chicken ('cause I don't have chicken thighs on hand) so I cut the spices in half accordingly. I also used only 2 cups of the broth. I can't wait to have this for dinner... two hours to go! LOL"