- 1 package (6.6 ounces) instant mashed potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, corn, olives, taco seasoning, chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with 3/4 cup cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over the top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Shepherd's Pie
"Will be making this again this St. Patrick's Day. Staying true to my roots, I always use ground lamb. Well, because....it is called Shepherd's pie you know! Only other change is I omit the Taco Seasoning. It just never felt right for this traditional Irish dish. My Grandmother would never allow us to eat Corned beef while she was alive. So Shepherd's pie was the way to go. She always said 'it was just to Orange for an Irishman to eat'. Her sentiments ran deep as she live through 'The Troubles' before coming to the USA from County Cork."
"Loved it! I omitted the olives, added a couple of teaspoons of ground cumin, used frozen corn and real mashed potatoes. Next time - and there will be a next time - I might use pepper jack cheese for a little kick."
"I use Idahoan Instant Potatoes which is simply the best instant potatoes to my mind. To control the salt intake I use Ree Drummond's Homemade Taco Seasoning (via her site Pioneer Woman or Tasty Kitchen) cutting down as I see fit. I use no-salt tomatoes and a small can (8 oz.) no-salt corn. You might think you would miss the salt, but I have found that the flavor of the food really comes out when it isn't smothered in salt. Also I use more cheese than is called for. The more the merrier! Even better the next day.Such a delicious recipe, and a complete meal with a salad!"
"Used 1 tsp chili powder, low sodium taco seasoning and 1/4 tsp salt. Otherwise made as written. I would definitely make again."
"I'm not sure why this highly-rated recipe didn't work. Wrong taco seasoning? Homemade mashed potatoes not thick enough? Too much sauce for the meat? Ugh. Sadly, it was a disaster for me."
"I thought it was a good recipe easy to make. I wouldn't use instant potatoes again, didn't like the taste of them!"
"Great recipe and easy to make . This recipe is definitely a keeper ."
"I'm going to try this recipe Sounds awesome. I do have a question and that is, would this keep well if I freeze part of this?"