Spicy Sausage Muffins
Ready for a change of pace? This muffin has a terrific spicy flavor with a good blend of herbs, sausage and cheese. It's very different from other savory muffins.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, onions and red pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cilantro, baking soda, salt and thyme.
- In another bowl, combine egg and buttermilk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese and sausage mixture.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 129 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Sausage Muffisn in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.