One time, I accidentally bought hot Italian sausage, but wanted to find a way to use it anyway. I tossed it in the slow cooker with mushrooms, tomatoes and wine, which helped to mellow out the heat. Now I buy the hot stuff on purpose! —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
Recommended: 35 Easy Dinners to Try This Winter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 8 Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage Links,
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or additional stock
- 1 package (12 ounces) fettuccine or tagliatelle
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; brown sausages on all sides. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker, reserving drippings in pan.
- In same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in drippings over medium heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, stock and wine; pour over sausages. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours (a thermometer inserted in sausages should read at least 160°).
- To serve, cook fettuccine according to package directions; drain. Remove sausages from slow cooker; cut into thick slices.
- Skim fat from mushroom mixture. Add fettuccine and sausage; toss to combine. Serve in bowls. If desired, top with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Sausage Fettuccine in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017