Spicy Sausage and Penne Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cook pasta in a large saucepan according to package directions, adding the vegetables during the last 6 minutes of cooking.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown sausage; remove from skillet and keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, mustard and pepper flakes; gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add milk mixture to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Drain pasta and vegetables; stir into the pan. Add cheese and reserved sausage; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 228 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Spicy Sausage and Penne
"This is a versatile recipe that can be changed around and still taste great. I didn't cook the veggies in the pasta water but microwaved them. The sauce was ok but needed more flavor. I added some salt, pepper and about 1/4 tsp chicken bouillon powder and I only used 1 cup of almond milk and 1 tblsp cornstarch instead of flour. Next time I'll try Italian sausage, peppers and onion. Ham and asparagus would also work well."
"I loved this dish, and so did my family! The sauce is so creamy I can't believe it is such a healthy dish. I used whole grain penne, and it worked well. Next time I will double the recipe for leftovers."
"Different than your regular sausage recipes. I change this up by using whatever sausage I happen to have on hand. I only gave this a 4 because of all of the pans you need to wash afterwards."
"This is a great foundation recipe. Didn't have mixed veggies so did without. Sauted onions, garlic and green bell pepper then regular smoked sausage. Followed the rest of the recipe and turned out fantastic. Expected to have leftovers but had to make more the next night!"
"This was a wonderful surprise! I didn't have the mixed veggies so I used frozen peas and corn. Only thing I did different was to add a little shredded sharp cheddar. Now my hubby who never gives high praises went back for seconds, so in my book that is a keeper."
"This recipe was only excellent because I read the reviews first and changed a few things. I used whole wheat pasta. I think that's very important when cooking to use things that have the most nutrients. I sauteed 1/2 onion, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow squash, and 1 small green zucchini together with salt, pepper, and a tsp of smokey sweet paprika and a bunch of garlic - but I love garlic so add as much as you like but you need some! 1/4 tsp later on in the recipe doesn't add much flavor. (I used more veg because I was doubling the recipe). Once the veg were tender crisp - about 5 minutes. I used that pan for the sausage and gave that about 5 minutes. I did the cheese sauce as said but I used 1/3 cup moz & 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar (for more flavor). I didn't have ground mustard so once the milk had thickened I added some dijon mustard just a tiny bit (maybe 1-2 tsp) for depth of flavor. It tasted great. My kiddo ate his whole bowl. It was good, slightly spicy, slightly nutty from the pasta, slightly garlicky, cheesy, and fun to look at with the colors of the different veg."
"This was OK....the sausage I bought was very spicy which was a good thing because the rest of the ingredients did not have much flavor."
"love love this recipe easy to make"
"Very taste, I added salt, pepper, dry basil, sliced onions and a little green pepper sliced."
"The sauce was creamy, but lacked flavor. The mixed vegetables also did not seem to work well in this dish."
"i found this was good but for some reason lacked taste maybe more spice? but it was good"