Spicy Salsa Muffins
At a farmer's market in Coweta, Oklahoma the Grenter brothers sell with wonderful, slightly spicy muffins every Saturday. If you buy some, you can request a copy of the recipe.—Ginger Sullivan, Cutler Bay, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the salsa, cream, butter and egg. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 167 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as The Grenter Brother's Spicy Salsa Anytime Muffins in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.