- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender. Add broth and lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until lentils and rice are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Rice Pilaf
"nothing special. it's okay tasting, has enough flavor. easy to prep. i just wasn't impressed."
"this is one of my favorite recipes. I've learned to double it when I'm taking it to a pot luck because it goes so fast. I sometimes use vegetable broth instead of chicken so that it can be a vegetarian offering. Try this one, you won't be sorry."