- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Chipotle mayonnaise, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk eggs, pumpkin, milk and melted butter until blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. If desired, serve with chipotle mayonnaise. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forSpicy Pumpkin Fritters
"I made a half batch, as written, and it was so bland that it tasted just like fried dough. I then doubled the spices (which effectively quadrupled the spices for the entire recipe) and I still couldn't taste any of the spices. I normally love spicy food, so I was excited to try this, but it was a huge disappointment. I also discovered that a Tbsp is much too large for a fritter of this density; a teaspoon was a much better volume that ensured it got cooked all the way through. I also had to cook them for 2-3 times longer than the recipe stated in order for them to be done in the middle. Sorry, but I have much better recipes to use my pumpkins in."
"I am always excited to try Trisha's unique recipes. These fritters are VERY unique and tasty. I added additional crushed red pepper flakes and the heat was just right. I would love Trisha to create a sweet pumpkin fritter (like a donut hole)--if anyone could do it right it would be her!"